History

History MarchIn 1971, a group of visionary women founded San Francisco's Women's Centers (SFWC) to incubate emerging Bay Area women's projects.

The first offices on Brady Street soon grew too small for the volume of work that they took on, such as, publishing a newsletter, staffing a community switchboard, and organizing activist groups. In 1979, SFWC purchased Dovre Hall, a former Sons of Norway meeting hall and neighborhood bar. They then transformed it into the first woman-owned and operated community center in the country, The Women's Building.

womens-buildSince then, The Women's Building (TWB) has sponsored over 170 emerging organizations, many growing into established non-profits, such as, La Casa de las Madres, San Francisco's first shelter for battered women; The Women's Foundation of California; and Lavender Youth Recreation & Information Center (LYRIC).

In 1999, TWB underwent an extensive renovation and seismic retrofitting, reopening in September of 2000. We estimate that over 20,000 people pass through the doors every year to take advantage of a variety of services or events.

Read about The Women's Building Mural MaestraPeace

 

 

San Francisco Women's Centers, Inc.
Tax ID # 94-1730620

3543 18th St. #8 San Francisco, CA 94110 (415) 431-1180
Copyright © 2005-2012 The Women's Building. All Rights Reserved.
Mural images courtesy of the artists ©1994-2009 Artists. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks to Juana Alicia, Miranda Bergman, Edythe Boone, Susan Kelk Cervantes, Meera Desai, Yvonne Littleton and Irene Perez.