Exciting Volunteer Opportunity
Help Low Income Families Overcome Poverty!
You can volunteer for the Women's Building Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program! Our site is open this coming spring (February to mid-April 2013), and offers free tax preparation to low income individuals and families
Every year billions of dollars in tax credits go unclaimed by low-income taxpayers who don't know they are eligible. VITA volunteers help clients apply all the appropriate tax credits, allowing the people who need it most to get the returns they deserve. To illustrate what this means for real people: One mother of three came to our VITA Site last year. She earned $13,000. We helped her apply all the relevant credits, and she received $5000 after filing her taxes.
- New volunteers should attend Tax Prep training (first 3 Saturdays in January 2013 from 9am-5pm at Golden Gate University) and complete a volunteer tax preparer test. TWB strives to have all Tax preparers certify to the advanced level.
- Returning/Experienced Volunteers should attend training on12/1 and 12/15 from 9am-4pm at GGU.
- All volunteers should attend the Women's Building site orientation the week before tax preparation season begins.
- All volunteers should commit at least 4 hrs. per week from February to April 2013. Volunteer shifts are Thursdays 5-9pm and Saturdays from 10am-2pm and 2-6pm at The Women's Building located @ 18th and Valencia
We have a need for English Speaking and bilingual volunteers (English-Spanish, English-Cantonese).
TWB have 4 volunteer roles you can fill:
Appointment Scheduler – You will screen people on the phone before making their appointments for tax preparation (this can be at a time that is convenient to you). This step is crucial to making sure tax clients have all their documentation necessary for the appointment and/or to refer people to other local organizations if we don't offer the preparation service they need. (You only need to attend the first Tax Prep training day on January 5th and TWB orientation).
Greeter/Screener – You will greet tax clients as they arrive and make sure they have the documents needed to complete their return. You assist greatly in managing the flow of clients in and out of our site. (You only need to attend the first Tax Prep training day on January 5th and TWB orientation).
Interpreter/Translator – You will assist in translating during tax preparation and in the greeting process. (You only need to attend the first Tax Prep training day on January and a TWB orientation).
Tax Preparer/Quality Reviewer – You will prepare people's taxes! Appointments for clients are one hour each, so you will likely be serving 3 clients per shift. (Requires first 3 Saturdays in January Tax Prep training and completing a volunteer tax preparer test, as well as TWB orientation)
How to get started:
If you are interested or need more information please email the following:
- Your preferred role (see above)
- Your preferred shift (Thursday 5-9, Saturday 10-2, or Saturday 2-6)
- Confirm your availability to attend the necessary trainings (listed above)
- Your preferred method of communication (email or phone)
Lorena Eulogio, Tax Season Logistics Coordinator I.